Iron Lion Zion

Friday, January 13, 2006

Iron Lion Zion--Why?

Iron Lion Zion is one of my favorite Bob Marley songs because
1. It's catchy, mostly because of the repetition of Bob being "Iron like a Lion in Zion" and the grooving backup singers.
2. It reminds me of Utah, which is, of course, Zion to every believing Mormon.
3. It succeeds in rhyming Iron and Lion. This only works if you are Jamaican.
4. It has great lines like "I am on the rock and then I check a stock/ I have to run like a fugitive to save the life I live/ I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion." Come on, what does that mean anyway?

1 Comments:

  • My cousin, who served a mission in Jamaica, was told by Rita Marley, Bob Marley's wife, while in the Bob Marley museum, that the song Iron, Lion, Zion was about Brigham Young. Bob was interested in the mormons because they, like rastas, are the only ones to use the word Zion. He also thought they must have truth because they were persecuted. Bob also felt persecuted for his religion, which included smoking weed. :). Listen to the lyrics again now. It's about Brigham fleeing to Utah with the Saints.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 AM, December 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home